Will insurance cover any damage to my home or property?

In the majority of cases, a special rider can be added to your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy to cover damages related to sewage backups or water damage. This optional coverage is usually not very expensive, but you must usually request that it be added to your policy. Call your insurance agent today to discuss this policy option.

As with the majority of municipalities in the country, the city cannot assume financial responsibility for damages resulting from sewage backups that are beyond the city’s control. That is why it is important for property owners to confirm they are adequately insured - particularly if areas of their home lie below ground level. It also reinforces the importance of properly maintaining your homes plumbing system through some simple steps mentioned above.

On April 7, 2016 the City adopted a No-Fault Sanitary Sewer Backup Damage Reimbursement Policy (click here to learn more). The purpose of the policy is to provide a method for assisting homeowners with the financial burden of a sewer backup, which resulted from a condition within the city’s sanitary sewer system or lines, even when the city is not legally liable for the resulting damage. The City of Whitewater will provide up to $7,500 for residents to assist with clean-up costs, property damages and mechanical equipment essential to the habitation of the residence irrespective of whether the city is legally liable. Included in the $7,500 limit is reimbursement of personal property and/or possessions up to $1,000. The program has an annual aggregate limit of $30,000 per all occurrences. Please note the policy has a maximum of $7,500. Homeowners should check with their homeowner’s insurance provider to see if they are covered or if additional protection can be purchased.      

Show All Answers

1. What causes a sewer backup?
2. Is there anything I can do to prevent a sewage backup into my home?
3. How could a sewer backup affect me?
4. What should I do if sewage backs up into my home?
5. If I call the city, what will they do about a sewer backup onto my property?
6. What does the municipality do to prevent this problem?
7. Will insurance cover any damage to my home or property?
8. How and where should I report a sewer backup?