There are locations where you can donate and recycle electronics, view list one (PDF) and list two (PDF) to see the address of those locations. We hope to have a location for a new collection site in the near future.
Therefore, it will be your responsibility to dispose of all used electronics on your own. View more information regarding the recycling of electronics in Wisconsin.
The following electronic items are banned from Wisconsin landfills:
- Cell phones
- Computer monitors, keyboards and mice
- Computer speakers
- Computers - desktop, laptop, notebook, tablet
- Desktop printers (including those that fax and scan)
- DVD players, VCRs, DVRs and all other video players
- External hard drives
- Fax machines
- Flash drives/USBs and other items that plug into a computer
In addition, these electronics will not be picked up by the city’s contracted disposal service. If you have any questions, please call the Streets Department at 262-473-0560.
Wisconsin's electronics recycling law, 2009 Wisconsin Act 50, covers two categories of electronics, covered electronic devices and eligible electronic devices. Only electronics sold to Wisconsin households, kindergarten through 12 public schools and Milwaukee Parental Choice Program schools are part of the E-Cycle Wisconsin program.
State law already required businesses, governments, schools and colleges, and others not covered by E-Cycle Wisconsin to recycle their electronics or manage the devices as hazardous waste.
Covered Electronic Devices
Covered electronic devices (CEDs) is the category used to determine which manufacturers must register under E-Cycle Wisconsin and how much they must recycle each year. CEDs include:
- Computers (i.e., desktop computers)
- Desktop printers and printer/fax/copier/scanner combinations
- Video display devices, including televisions, laptop computers and computer monitors with displays of at least 7 inches in the longest diagonal direction
Eligible Electronic Devices
Eligible electronic devices (EEDs) is a broader category of devices that manufacturers can count toward their recycling obligation. EEDs include:
- All of the CEDs listed
- Computer peripherals, including keyboards, mice, hard drives and other devices
- Fax machines
- DVD players, VCRs and other video players (i.e., DVRs)
EEDs do not include cell phones, digital cameras, iPods, etc.
For more information, view the full text of Wisconsin's electronics recycling law, view guidance on definitions of covered devices (PDF), and Wisconsin recycling information.